On Saturday, after doing homework and some yoga, I decided to get myself in the kitchen. We were planning to go out to dinner for my mom’s birthday that was on Tuesday, so in addition to the gifts I bought her, I wanted to make her a treat. I attempted a giant cupcake for my fiancé for Valentine’s Day, but it wound up being a disaster. So, with that ego bruiser fresh in my mind, I decided to make some chocolate truffles for my mom.
We didn’t have any heavy cream in the house, and I had no desire to go to the store to get some. So, I got creative. I had caramel macchiato coffee creamer, and coconut milk. After taking a poll via Twitter and thinking about it some more, I decided to go with the creamer. I thought the caramel would be a nice addition to the chocolate. It’s a pretty easy process, and they’re really delicious. Since this is just the base and I coated mine in just some cocoa powder, you can really get creative with what you want to cover it in… yum!
Easy Chocolate Truffles
– makes about 12 truffles –
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup coffee creamer (flavor of your choice)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1. In a double boiler (I just used a glass bowl atop a pot of boiling water), heat and melt chocolate, combined with coffee creamer.
2. Once fully melted and combined, chill for about 2 hours, until semi-hard.
3. Once chilled, use a small spoon to scoop out chocolate and roll into a ball.
4. In a separate bowl, roll the truffle in the chocolate powder